Thursday, May 31, 2012

Baby Brown is a BOY!!!

Josh and I are so excited to share that we are having a baby BOY! We found out yesterday and it was an amazing moment I'm sure we won't ever forget. We went to a Korean clinic in Seoul to find out the gender of baby. We had no idea how to get there by car so we took the subway. When we got there we were surprised to see that one Americsn midwife worked at the clinic and she was really helpful in helping us with out paperwork. The clinic is actually a natural birthing clinic and she said that lots of Americans choose to have their babies there as opposed to on base. Anyways, it was nice to have someone to communicate with and was so helpful! We waited about 20 minutes and went in for the ultrasound with a sweet Korean woman who spoke very limited English. She measured baby and looked at the brain saying that everything was growing correctly and is the size it should be at this stage. It was hard to get a good picture through, because baby was face down with its head down low and toes up by my belly button. She asked if we wanted to know the gender and said, very anti- climatically, "baby is boy." I was crying, of course, and asked her if she was sure. I was just so excited and wanted confirmation. This confused her. I said "100% boy or maybe girl?" This confused her also. Anyways, we couldn't see any boy parts because of baby's position, so we weren't entirely convinced. We were SO happy, but didn't want to text any family yet in case we could be wrong. So, I ate a small snack and walked around the clinic for about 30 minutes, hoping to get baby moving around a bit. We had a consultation with Dr Park and I told her that I wasn't confident in what the ultrasound technician told us and she kindly offered to give us another quick ultrasound in her office. The screen on the wall was HUGE. Well, all my walking around and Chex Mix eating worked because baby was laying lengthwise and was no longer face down. Immediately he spread his legs as if to say "There is NO way I'm a girl.... See? All boy!!" This was particularly hilarious because the screen was so big!! So, now I can confidently say that baby is 100% boy and we are thrilled!!! I have been saying baby was a boy since the beginning. In fact, about two days before our apointment I said to Josh, " What if baby is a Girl? I've been so convinced that baby was a boy that I haven't even considered having a girl!" Josh was saying baby was a girl but on the way to the apointment he said, "I really hope baby is a boy. I just want a little buddy." It is such a special feeling to know that baby is not just "it" anymore. Josh and I have been looking at Coug gear online and I've been planning things for the nursery all morning. I also started working on a baby registry. It's such a special and exciting time for us. I would post pictures from this ultrasound, but they are pretty horrible. We have lots of baby's backbone and a nice large picture of baby's man parts- ha! We also have a 3D photo but baby needs to get some body fat before those pictures look good. He's not even one pound yet. I have another doctor apointment in 3 weeks for a fetal growth scan and I'm hoping to get a precious little side profile picture of baby boy. Oh, and in other great news I've been feeling baby move around. I've felt that I was feeling kicks and movement for a while now, but wasn't entirely sure. Last night I was watching the Bachelorette (don't judge!) and definitely felt babys strong kick!!! Incredibly exciting!! Sending lots of love and hoping you're all doing well. Thanks for sharing this great journey with us!! :)

3 comments:

  1. This was so fun to read! I teared up. :) Love you two, and that precious baby boy too! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited for you and Josh! A little boy will be such a fun addition to your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, my name is Andrew. My wife and I just went to a Korean birth hospital today to start with our regular visits and eventually give birth there. Leslie is 16 weeks and we were hoping to find out the sex of our baby as well. However, the doctor said that she couldn't tell us due to some Korean law. I was not too happy about that and my wife was really upset. I was wondering where you guys were going for your visits. It sounds a lot better than the place we just checked out today. If you can offer any information, it would be greatly appreciated. Congratulations on the good news!

    Andrew - andrew.megel@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete