Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Welcome Sweet Baby

HE'S HERE! Cooper Allen Brown came into the world on October 10 just after midnight. He weighed 7 pounds and 4 ounces and was 20 inches long.
On the afternoon of the 9th I was having some serious back pain and just thought that my body was telling me to slow down. I had been go, go, go with getting the house set up and getting everything ready for the baby and hadn't been resting as much as I should have. So, I took a nap, took a bath and was relaxing in bed watching TV, but the pain wouldn't go away. I had been experiencing Braxton Hicks contractions for a few months, but the pain I was feeling was very different. I honestly didn't think I was in labor because my due date was 17 days away! Also, I had had a doctors appointment the day before and didn't show any signs of being in labor.
So, a few hours later the pain got worse and I started to time my contractions. SO SHOCKED when all my contractions were about 2-3 minutes apart! Yikes! Josh and I quickly packed a hospital bag, called the doctor on call, and headed to the hospital. When we checked into the hospital around 9pm by contractions were 2 minutes apart and I was 6cm dialated. Baby boy was on his way. Everything happened so fast that Josh and I were both so surprised. I was still shocked that I was in labor- Ha!
Everything seemed to be looking good and I met the doctor on call, Dr General. I hadn't met her before that night, but Josh and I both really liked her and felt comfortable with her right away. She ended up being an AMAZING doctor. I don't have enough good things to say about her.
When I was 7cm dialated some problems started happening. Every time I had a contraction babys heart rate would drop pretty low and with each passing contraction his heart rate would go lower and lower, and stay lower for longer periods of time. This was a pretty scary time for us. The doctors tried a few things to remedy this problem, but nothing seemed to work. It was apparent that the only course of action would be a c-section, and fast.
I was so surprised and scared and unprepared for a c-section. I skipped all those chapers in the baby books- ha! Everything happened really quickly because baby was in danger and my contractions were so close together. I quickly signed some consent paperwork, Josh put scrubs over his clothes and we were off to the operating room.
Less than 30 minutes later our sweet baby boy was born, Cooper Allen Brown. Josh was able to watch the c section and saw Cooper right away. I heard his first cry and was able to see him for a short minute before he was taken to be cleaned up by the nurses. Josh went with Cooper and I was in the operating room for another 45 minutes or so. I was finally able to hold Coop and spend time with him about three hours later. I think that was the worst part for me- not being able to hold him right away and having to wait to see him.
Cooper had some bruising on his face (poor little guy) but was completely healthy. The c section was not part of the plan, and the recovery was really difficult at times, but I'm just so thankful to have our sweet little guy here with us. He's such a blessing and really fills a hole in my heart that I didn't even realize was there before he came into our lives. Being a mommy is truly the best. Now, 5 weeks later, I'm definitely recovered and feeling back to my normal self, with the added sleep deprivation of course. Right after the c section I couldn't bend over to pick up the baby or change his diaper, wasn't able to drive for three weeks and couldn't sit or lay down without help. I'm so thankful to be back to my old self and able to do things for myeslf and for my sweet baby boy. Here are some of my favorite pictures from the hospital.

First picture at the hospital. Ready to get this show on the road and meet baby Cooper!

Our first family photo as a family of 3. This picture just makes my heart melt. I love how beautiful this moment was, and love how happy Josh looks.

One day new

Snuggle time with mom

When the doctors decided that I needed a c section Josh called my mom to tell her. She got online and booked a plane ticket for Saturday. We are so lucky that she was able to come and stay for two weeks! I love how happy she looks in this picture. You'd have no idea she just flew on a red eye to come and meet baby Cooper. Right after she arrived we were discharged and were able to head home.

No comments:

Post a Comment