Friday, February 3, 2012

Loving Korea

Some days I really dislike Korea. Ok, it's more than that. Somedays I sure hate Korea. I miss being close to family and having the conveniences of home. I miss Target and having a yard and having my own car. I miss not having to drive one hour to the grocery store and I miss easy communication. 
But, today is not one of those days. Today I love Korea. 

(Thankfully, these days outweigh the "I hate Korea" days.) 

It all started this morning. I left the house and was walking to work. As I was leaving our building I literally ran into an older woman who quickly started talking to me in Korean and showing me a piece of paper. The paper was all written in Korean but I could see two three-digit numbers and assumed that she was looking for a building and apartment number. So, in my broken Korean I started telling her where to go (using the Korean words for straight, right, left, one, two, three, yes, no, okay etc). 

She is telling me TONS of things that I didn't understand, but we managed to get her to the right place. Anyways, she looks at me as she says "com-sam-ne-da" (thank you in Korean) and for the first time realizes that I am not Korean. She just stared at me and started laughing....SO HARD! It was hilarious. It was like she was so busy trying to find the right place that she didn't even look at me or something. Anyways, it was hilarious and I was in front of my house laughing hysterically with a random Korean woman who just kept saying "white, white, white" over and over again.  

It's random things like that that remind me what an amazing experience we are having here and how blessed our Korean experience has been. 

   






"Find life experiences and swallow them whole. Travel. Meet many people. Go down some dark alleys. Try everything. Exhaust yourself in the glorious pursuit of life."



 

No comments:

Post a Comment