Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Konglish

Konglish is Korean and English mixed together in spoken language.  Konglish is occasionally frustrating, often confusing, and almost always entertaining. It’s one of the main reasons for misunderstandings I have between myself and Koreans. And for an English teacher, it’s a daily battle I doubt I will ever win. More times than I can count I've spoken with my boss or Korean staff at my hagwon and walked away thinking, "They have NO idea what I was trying to tell them or ask them." Communication breakdowns happen frequently, and often they are because we are both speaking English, but Konglish is involved.

Many words Koreans have adoped from English to mean the same thing such as game and computer. Other words sound very similar in Korean, just have varied accents such as sofa, refrigerator and t-shirt. But, most words that Koreans have adopted from the English language have taken on new meanings, so that they now mean something completely different than they do to native English speakers – or, even more confusingly, there’s only a very slight, subtle difference, so that you think you’re both talking about the same thing. That’s Konglish. English words, but with a new Korean meaning. Confusing, right?
So, for the last few weeks I've been putting together a list of Konglish words that I hear from Koreans I work with or my students. There are many more, but here are some that I can remember. Some don't seem like much of a difference, but some can really make a large difference!

When they say…………….. they mean
Sick……………………………………Hurt or broken
Cider……………………….................Sprite, 7Up
Handle………………………………..Steering wheel
Same-same……………………........ “They are the same thing”
Service…………………………..........Free (as in “it’s on the house!”)
Handphone……………………............Cellphone/Mobile phone. )
APT………………………………...Apartment (It sounds like Koreans are saying, "Come to my apart" when really they mean apartmnet!)
Apartment………………………….......Whole apartment building
Eye shopping……………………….....Window shopping
One shot!……………………………...Bottoms up!
Hair rinse……………………………....Hair conditioner
Skinship……………………….............Kissing or holding hands
Fighting!………....................................A shout of encouragement, like “Go team!” or “Let’s do it!”
Time……………………………….......Hour ("I slept 8 times last night" means "I slept for 8 hours.")
So-so……………………………….......Boring, uninteresting ("The movie was very very so-so")
Yoghurt……………………………........A thin liquid yoghurt drink, mostly a smoothie
Yoplait………………………………......Yoghurt (any brand) (This is a lot like Americans call any tissue Kleenex)
Pop song………………………………....Any song in English
Cunning……………………………….....Cheating/copying work
Dessert……………………………….......Cup of tea after meal
Ouchie.................................................... ...Very hurt ("Teacher... I am very ouchie. My knee is very ouchie!")
Remocon.................................................... Remote control (Many words in Konglish are just shortened, because Koreans belive they are too long)
Changeeee........................................... To trade or change something ("Teacher I want to changeeeeee book!")
Accessory................................................... Any jewlery
Bond.............................................................Glue
Gagman........................................................ Comedian/Funny person

1 comment:

  1. Love this blog =) Japanese people say apartment in the same way!

    ReplyDelete